Ever since working at Coldstone in high school as a Cake Manager and decorator, I have enjoyed making and decorating cakes.
I tend to try and be creative, such as my campfire cake I made for Gan last year, and the bathtub Gan and I made for Megan...


Ha ha.
But I also made my wedding cake, as well as my cousin Brea's wedding cake...


Even though frosting everywhere and rock hard fondant are a pain in the butt, I've really enjoyed being creative in decorating cakes.
So, this year for Jeff's 25th birthday he wanted an ice cream cake, and since ice cream is really hard to cut into a shape, I was trying to come up with something cylindrical... I asked him if he had any requests, to which he first said, "a basketball." After I told him a basketball was round, he said, "Ok then, a tree stump. Or a water tower." Ha ha. He cracks me up.
But I got thinking of all the puns that can result from tree stumps, and decided to go for it...

Maybe I should just stop this post right here, with your coutesy chuckle still sounding in my ears...
But no, because I'm me, and have to tell you about the rest of it.
Well, apparently a 9 inch spring-form pan is too wide for the amount of ice cream I bought, half a gallon... and since we definitely don't need more than that for just the two of us, I didn't bother getting more. So It turned into a wide flatish stump...

Last year when Jeff wanted an ice cream cake, I complied and it turned out even more disastrous, so much that I didn't even post a picture of the cake, just a slice:

But it tasted good, despite the slightly too dry cake. This year I wanted to try something else besides normal cake mix to see if it'd be more moist.
So I went for a crushed/pressed chocolate chip cookie bottom with hot fudge on it, with a brownie layer in the middle... sounds really nice and cool looking and yummy right?
Well... the crushed cookie layer turned out to be about 3 millimeters thick and it just stuck to the bottom of my pan, and we had to scrape it out in pieces. The brownie layer turned out to be really thick, and you can't even tell there's an ice cream layer between the cookie and brownie layers. I would've liked to have been able to make the frosting look more like bark, but it just kept clumping and melting the ice cream too fast to even spread well (repeat of last year...) and I kept having to put it back in the freezer every few minutes. Plus once it was all said and done, we peeled off the frosting because it tasted nasty with the ice cream and brownies for some reason...

Oh well. The brownie and ice cream was really good together! With that occasional chunk of cookie dough in the ice cream, I'd say it wasn't a complete failure...
Signing off till next year's wreck...
Lindsey,
the girl with the over-zealous cake images in her head that rarely turn out as planned...
I tend to try and be creative, such as my campfire cake I made for Gan last year, and the bathtub Gan and I made for Megan...
Ha ha.
But I also made my wedding cake, as well as my cousin Brea's wedding cake...


Even though frosting everywhere and rock hard fondant are a pain in the butt, I've really enjoyed being creative in decorating cakes.
So, this year for Jeff's 25th birthday he wanted an ice cream cake, and since ice cream is really hard to cut into a shape, I was trying to come up with something cylindrical... I asked him if he had any requests, to which he first said, "a basketball." After I told him a basketball was round, he said, "Ok then, a tree stump. Or a water tower." Ha ha. He cracks me up.
But I got thinking of all the puns that can result from tree stumps, and decided to go for it...

Maybe I should just stop this post right here, with your coutesy chuckle still sounding in my ears...
But no, because I'm me, and have to tell you about the rest of it.
Well, apparently a 9 inch spring-form pan is too wide for the amount of ice cream I bought, half a gallon... and since we definitely don't need more than that for just the two of us, I didn't bother getting more. So It turned into a wide flatish stump...

Last year when Jeff wanted an ice cream cake, I complied and it turned out even more disastrous, so much that I didn't even post a picture of the cake, just a slice:
But it tasted good, despite the slightly too dry cake. This year I wanted to try something else besides normal cake mix to see if it'd be more moist.
So I went for a crushed/pressed chocolate chip cookie bottom with hot fudge on it, with a brownie layer in the middle... sounds really nice and cool looking and yummy right?
Well... the crushed cookie layer turned out to be about 3 millimeters thick and it just stuck to the bottom of my pan, and we had to scrape it out in pieces. The brownie layer turned out to be really thick, and you can't even tell there's an ice cream layer between the cookie and brownie layers. I would've liked to have been able to make the frosting look more like bark, but it just kept clumping and melting the ice cream too fast to even spread well (repeat of last year...) and I kept having to put it back in the freezer every few minutes. Plus once it was all said and done, we peeled off the frosting because it tasted nasty with the ice cream and brownies for some reason...

Oh well. The brownie and ice cream was really good together! With that occasional chunk of cookie dough in the ice cream, I'd say it wasn't a complete failure...
Signing off till next year's wreck...
Lindsey,
the girl with the over-zealous cake images in her head that rarely turn out as planned...




11 comments:
Haha awesome!! I think it looked super cool! You are so funny! I love your cake making abilities! You rock!
You are so funny! I think it's awesome that you work so hard to make your cakes come out well in the first place, I just make them plain or buy them. So I'm sure that means the most to Jeff anyway...and you can't go wrong with brownie and ice cream! I think it still looked so cute! You are an awesome wife!
Have you ever been to the the cake wreck blog? I think it's cakewrecks.blogspot I couldn't stop laughing! haha But your cake wreaks really aren't so bad... maybe a little funny, but understandable. In fact, they sound like the normal fiascos that occur at my house weekly. I'm actually REALLY impressed at your bravery! Cakes like any of that I wouldn't even DARE attempt. Now I'll know who to call for some cake know-how and how-to's. :) P.S. Those wedding cakes turned out AMAZING!!!
I liked your stump! And I'm sure it tasted yummy!
Mom
I think this just made my day!! I am sorry that it didn't work out, but the story is really quite entertaining! Thanks for the laughs! :D
That's awesome Lindsey! I love the cakes you make...a whole lot better than I could ever do! You definitely have a talent for it (You know how I feel about you and your cake abilities..."Lindsey's Cakes"...catchy business title!) I'd eat that scrapped pieces of brownie any day!!
I have to agree with the other comments - this cake is nothing compared to my disasters in the baking arena. Looks tasty!!!
Ha Ha! Too Funny! I'm sure Jeff appreciated your time and effort! It does look quite yummy! Last year I tried to make Spencer a Darth Vader Cake, but it ended up looking like a love child of Darth Vader and chewbacca! Oh dear! Those wedding cakes are beautiful!!
Linz, I love it. Great job! Sorry the flavors didn't mesh as well as planned, but I LOVE the stump :) And the initials are a priceless touch. Happy Bday to Jeffrey!
Good effort. You cake portfolio is incredible compared to mine. I should have had you do my wedding cake! :)
I love your cousins cake! I want to learn how to do that! You are awesome!
Post a Comment