Last night we went to join the carnies and other... interesting... people... at the Utah State Fair!
Afton & Nick, Me & Jeff, Cody & Jess



Afton had never been to a rodeo before, so we got there in time to see the calf roping, muttin bustin, barrel racing and bull riding.
I'm not sure what it is about state and city fairs, but I love the atmosphere... usually I just enjoy looking at all the stuff people try to sell, watching the white trash, laughing at the immature middle schoolers, and staring at the carnies.
Or in the words of Bill Engvall: "If you're ever feelin down about yourself, just go to a state fair and look around man! I saw people there that could be their own dad. And the stuff they sell at the state fair just blows my mind. There was a guy selling rocks, with two eyes and a smile painted on it. Now how many people do you think walked by his booth and said, 'Honey, we ain't got one smilin rock at our house!'"
Ha ha.
This time though, we:
Spent way to much on fair food.
Went to the rodeo.
Walked around the booths.
Jeff and Nick rode the mechanical bull.

And we rode the zipper!


During which Jeff's phone flew out of his pocket, the back and battery came off, the battery flew out of the ride, and then he caught the body of the phone between his leg and the side of the ride... and then miraculously found all the pieces and it still works!
I now understand how my brother Nate broke 2 phones on fair rides.
Oh and my head was spinning for hours afterwards. That was fun.
This was interesting, and a little creepy: we saw 3 of these booths, where there was a creepy recording of a guy saying, "World's smallest horse, alive!" Or there was a "World's smallest woman! Come and see her, you can even talk to her!" And then there's a little plywood box inside the booth where supposedly a 2 foot woman is sitting and you can pay a dollar to walk through and look at her. Weren't these kind of fair attractions outlawed like 50 years ago or something like that? It seemed pretty cruel. Afton was sure they were slaves. I figured the little woman was probably just laughing at all the idiots actually paying a dollar to walk through.
This one was really interesting though- a girl's head on the body of a snake? And there was a cage, with wooden sides all around the bottom and chicken wire at the top, and supposedly she was inside. It was creepy. It reminded me of the kind of stuff from the eighteen hundreds, like in the Phantom of the Opera movie, when the carnival comes through and the phantom is a little boy who is a freak show attraction in the traveling carnival. Anyway, we didn't pay to see any of them, but it sure caught my eye...

Go carnies!
Afton & Nick, Me & Jeff, Cody & Jess



Afton had never been to a rodeo before, so we got there in time to see the calf roping, muttin bustin, barrel racing and bull riding.
I'm not sure what it is about state and city fairs, but I love the atmosphere... usually I just enjoy looking at all the stuff people try to sell, watching the white trash, laughing at the immature middle schoolers, and staring at the carnies.
Or in the words of Bill Engvall: "If you're ever feelin down about yourself, just go to a state fair and look around man! I saw people there that could be their own dad. And the stuff they sell at the state fair just blows my mind. There was a guy selling rocks, with two eyes and a smile painted on it. Now how many people do you think walked by his booth and said, 'Honey, we ain't got one smilin rock at our house!'"
Ha ha.
This time though, we:
Spent way to much on fair food.
Went to the rodeo.
Walked around the booths.
Jeff and Nick rode the mechanical bull.

And we rode the zipper!


During which Jeff's phone flew out of his pocket, the back and battery came off, the battery flew out of the ride, and then he caught the body of the phone between his leg and the side of the ride... and then miraculously found all the pieces and it still works!
I now understand how my brother Nate broke 2 phones on fair rides.
Oh and my head was spinning for hours afterwards. That was fun.
This was interesting, and a little creepy: we saw 3 of these booths, where there was a creepy recording of a guy saying, "World's smallest horse, alive!" Or there was a "World's smallest woman! Come and see her, you can even talk to her!" And then there's a little plywood box inside the booth where supposedly a 2 foot woman is sitting and you can pay a dollar to walk through and look at her. Weren't these kind of fair attractions outlawed like 50 years ago or something like that? It seemed pretty cruel. Afton was sure they were slaves. I figured the little woman was probably just laughing at all the idiots actually paying a dollar to walk through.
This one was really interesting though- a girl's head on the body of a snake? And there was a cage, with wooden sides all around the bottom and chicken wire at the top, and supposedly she was inside. It was creepy. It reminded me of the kind of stuff from the eighteen hundreds, like in the Phantom of the Opera movie, when the carnival comes through and the phantom is a little boy who is a freak show attraction in the traveling carnival. Anyway, we didn't pay to see any of them, but it sure caught my eye...

Go carnies!




5 comments:
Well said about those carnivals! Wish we had rodeos here in NY. I love the fair food. It really isn't that good... but still, once a year it's worth it for some reason. Amen on the creepy stuff too.
I love the State Fair. I could just go and watch everyone. It is great.
I've never been to a rodeo/fair either but it definitely seems like an experience! Sounds like fun!
ha! How fun! I love fairs! They are so fun and funny! I bet you had a blast!
So apparently I can't fine your phone number or email...We're going to the fair tonight and I'm wondering if we should re-buy a wrist band for unlimmited rides for $19 at smiths- we'll really mostly use it for Josh/Dekker- I don't know how much the rides run individually....
Post a Comment