I grew up eating my Dad's granola, which was actually my Grandma Runyan's granola. One of it's unique ingredients is wheat flakes (i.e. Wheaties) which I thought all granola recipes had till I moved away and learned of others. When Jeff and I talked about making granola he told me how he'd grown up on his Grandma Duncan's granola, which was similar to my dad's, but without the wheat flakes. Both had lot of honey and turned out fairly soft and chewy, (for being granola.)
I decided to try his Grandma's recipe since I already knew what my dad's was like, and then I also tried another recipe I found online, for Almond Granola. Both turned out awesome! And I don't think I can pick a favorite between the three. It'd be like having to pick between Brick Oven, California Pizza Kitchen, and Pizza Factory. It really just depends on your mood.
Anyway, the Almond Granola is drier (a little easier on the jaw) and sweeter, which I love of course. Grandma's Chewy Granola is like it's title, a little chewier, still sweet, but not as sweet.
I thought I'd share with you the two granola recipes I made this time, and next time I make my dad's I'll share it as well!
Almond Granola
4 cups oats (I did 2 cups quick oats, and 2 cups big rolled oats)
1/2 cup ground flax (I actually just used flax seeds, in the same quantity)
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 pumpkin pie spice- cloves & nutmeg (I only used nutmeg)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup veggie oil
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Mix oats, flax, sunflower seeds, almonds, and spices. Set aside.
Whisk together sugar, oil, honey, salt, vanilla, and almost extract.
Mix dry and wet ingredients together. (Will be fairly dry but holding together loosely.)
Spread evenly on a greased cookie sheet. Bake 1 hr 15 mins, stirring every 15-20 mins.
Store in airtight container.
Yum!!
Grandma's Chewy Granola
2 cups oats (Again I mixed quick oats and whole rolled oats)
1 cup wheat germ (I used wheat bran, cause I couldn't find wheat germ in the store I went to...)
1/2 lb. shredded coconut (Ours has less cause I ran out and didn't want to go to the store)
2 cups raw sunflower seeds
1 cup sesame seeds
3 cups chopped almonds, pecans, or walnuts (We prefer almonds)
Mix in a big bowl.
In a sauce pan, mix:
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cups oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup molasses (I didn't have any, so I doubled the honey... Jeff said he could tell the difference, but it wasn't drastic... and he likes it just as much)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp vanilla
Heat until sugar is melted- don't boil! Pour over dry ingredients. Mix together. Spread out in greased cookies sheet or glass baking dish. Cook 20-30 minutes* at 300 degrees, stirring once. Store in airtight container.
*My granola was in cookie sheets and it was still very wet after only 30 minutes. I ended up cooking it for 1 hour 30 minutes, stirring ever 20 minutes before it got dry enough to start sticking together in the pan. At this point we pulled it out. It will dry a little more as it cools.
If any of you use these recipes, let us know what you thought!
We'd love to hear!
We'd love to hear!




3 comments:
Wow! Looks delicious!!
Wow! Looks delicious!!
Ooo Tom and I have been wanting to make some granola recently. I'll have to try one of you recipes. Thanks Linds! They look yummy!
Post a Comment