Thursday, June 11, 2009

Our Future



Someday we will live on a ranch. Period. It's not a hope or a question. It's a fact. I'm determined. My foot is down and it's not coming up. Nope, no matter what. When that someday is though? *Sigh* I have no idea. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I would love to raise our kids in something more rural than the 'burbs. Somewhere where we can have horses and lots of space, so they can learn the meaning of the term "hard work." I'm definitely not raising a bunch of pansies. That's for sure. Ok I know that can be accomplished in other ways. But living on a ranch with horses has always been my dream, so that's how it's gonna be.


Me and some gorgeous horses on The Farm a few summers ago

I'm lucky enough to have a husband who shares in the dream of owning a ranch, and unlucky to have him also clueless as to how and when this will happen. My grandparents own about 530 or so acres up in Idaho. It's fondly called, "The Farm in Idaho." Original, I know. But that's what we've all always called it. It is one of my favorite places to visit. Yes I ranted about it in my post about our reunion last summer, (found here, if you're curious...) But I just have to reiterate again how much I love the open space, feeling like a legit cowgirl and not a poser, the fresh air, the alfalfa, the trains, the cows, the super old barn with all it's smells and old equipment everywhere, and the farm house. I love that my grandparents have decorated with old bridle's, old family pictures, horseshoes, buffalo, etc etc etc.

Talk about nostalgia.

The past few days I've discovered the website of The Pioneer Woman. I'd heard of it before, but never looked at it or read it till now. For those of you who don't know her, she is a wonderful woman who has created a website full of her love of her husband, little punks, photography, cooking, and their huge ranch life. And she's creative and hilarious. I've secretly been living vicariously through her the past few days, shh don't tell anyone. And this has only brought my future ranch dreams right back to the surface and currently boiling...


*Sigh*

3 comments:

Tom and B said...

I hear ya girl. Im so ready to ditch these city folk. We need to move away to a place that no one's even heard of and just find some peace and quiet. I've been having rural fever too cousin. Someday we'll have our farms and lands so far that we can't even see the end. Although Im sad to say I wont have horses cuz Im allergic. So we'll have lots of dogs and pigs and cows and chickens. I admire the cowgirl in you. I wish I could pull that off but lets be honest. Im just a redneck. :) Thanks for sharing that website. I like it a lot

Cuties on Top said...

I always wanted to live on a ranch or farm too! I totally thought I was a cowgirl for a long time! I still think I am sometimes! I hope you get to have your ranch sooner that later!

kristynn said...

Keep dreamin' they will eventually come true if both you and Jeff want it!
Mama K

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...