Friday, May 23, 2014

Ren

Some friends in our ward, Brandon and Rachel Rogers, were planning to move to Tennesse and were getting ready to put their house up for sale, so they decided to give away their dog Ren.  I stopped by one day for some other reason and saw Brandon out taking pictures of Ren so he could post him on KSL.  I figured it was a long shot, but I told them to hold off and I'd talk to Jeff about it...  
(First picture we had of him.  Rachel texted it to me so I could show Jeff.)

When I talked to Jeff he was more open to the idea of getting a dog than I thought he'd be.  Ren would be an indoor dog, maybe more than outdoor since we don't have a fenced yard, and that was one of our big concerns.  Especially with a new baby.  Plus neither of us were thrilled about the possibility of dog hair everywhere.  But knowing that Weimaraner's don't shed as much as most other breeds with fur, and with the fact that he was already 5 1/2 years old and mild-tempered for his breed, we decided to give him a shot!

Rogers told us to take him for a few days to a week and see how it went.  I picked him up on May 5th on our way to Lehi for dinner and FHE.  He did really well with all the family and got along well with Ralphie.  

After having him for a week we decided to keep him!  I felt really bad as it was kind of sudden, especially for the Roger's kids, but maybe not saying goodbye to him was easier?  But we figured it was better to continue keeping him than to give him back and then bring him home again.  

Shad of course LOVES Ren and having him around.  He is always trying to play with him and calls him "my buddy Ren!"  Ren wasn't used to Shad at first and would just grunt and get up and walk away when Shad would try to roll on him, but he is gradually putting up with more.  He seems to really take to me- he likes to follow me around the house.   





He is a really good looking dog!  I've seen some ugly Weimaraner's before... But Ren is definitely handsome.  We think he's a little big for his breed, possibly because he wasn't neutered till he was 5 years old?  He's well proportioned, he's got cute face, very mild tempered, doesn't bark, hardly sheds, doesn't jump up or lick your face, he's healthy... 



We got him a pillow and he LOVES it.  I think he really likes knowing that it's his and that it's his space, especially in a new environment.


He lays/ sleeps in some of the funniest positions, especially for such a long gangly dog...

He loves ice!  And Shad loves feeding it to him.  Win win.



We're excited to have him and I think he'll be a great first dog for our family!  Now to put up a fence...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...