Friday, May 18, 2012

Mother's Day & Our Crazy Bike Ride

Mother's Day has always been an important day in my home growing up, celebrating my Mom and the amazing person she is.  I admit her Mother's Days weren't always wonderful, due to the three of us arguing or not helping out where we should've.  But I hope we've been able to start making up for it now.  I hope she knows how much I love and admire her strength and endurance through all her temporal and physical trials, her faith and testimony in the Gospel and our Savior, her service and special things she does for others, and her love.  I've always looked up to her for advice, and I treasure our friendship, one that has grown and developed over time, which I believe has become even stronger due to me not having a sister.  Jeff may be my best friend, but there are just some things you need a girlfriend for!  



I have also come to love and admire my mother-in-law, and all of her wonderful attributes.  I've loved having someone to call for gardening, cooking, or sewing tips, as well as spontaneous family barbecues.  She always has an open door and ear to those around her who need it.   Plus she's raised 7 kids which I appreciate even more now that I have a little handful of my own!  I don't know if I could survive 7...

 For Jeff's mom we decided to get together with Amy and update this grandkid picture, which was for Mother's Day last year.  
I'd say it's a pretty good tradition!   

My mom found this picture in a Seagull Book/ Deseret Book ad and has been wanting a large picture of the temple up in the house, so she asked if I could replicate or take something similar for her for Mother's Day.  

This is what I came up with.  Hopefully it turns out good!  (I'm printing and framing it when I'm in Boise next month...)
 
Last year was my first legit Mother's Day which made it special, but this year was even better.  Jeff brought home a gorgeous bouquet of flowers for me on Friday... (which ended up lasting 3 1/2 weeks!) 

And told me he wanted to get me a bike trailer for Mother's Day/ Our Anniversary!  
(Can you tell we've needed one?  This just doesn't work too well...)


I was way excited.  I knew I wanted one that converted to a double jogger so I'd have that option in the future if I decide not to buy an actual double jogging stroller.  I looked around and found one on Amazon that I really liked the look of and had good reviews, but I couldn't find a retailer that sold it here.  A bunch of people recommended "the one from Costco" so we called to see what they carried, only to discover it was the one that I had my eye on!  Saturday morning we went to purchase it, and ended up having to drive to Murray in order to find one! (Orem was out, Lehi was out, and Sandy sold their last one right before we got there.)  We brought it home, put it together, and planned our first excursion.  

We decided we needed some fertilizer for the garden/flowers, so Jeff said we could bike to IFA in Spanish Fork to get some.  I knew it was a long way, but he seemed to think we could do it no problem, so I wasn't one to doubt his confidence.  I started out pulling Shad, and he did really well!  He loved it, which we knew he would.  He even fell asleep for most of the ride there.  
 
About half way to IFA Jeff realized that he was picturing the old Reams in North Spanish Fork just off the freeway, not IFA in South Spanish Fork by Sunroc and the Hare Krishna Temple!  But since we were halfway there we decided to keep going.  We finally made it there, purchased our fertilizer and ironite, switched the trailer and it's extra 35 lbs to Jeff's bike, and headed back.  It was quite the challenge making it all the way back.  Jeff's bike already struggles, and with pulling an extra 85 lbs, he got quite the work out.  16.4 miles later we made it home, with jelly legs and an appetite.  But it was worth it.  Somehow we seem to do really well at unintentionally representing the "go big or go home" mentality... No breaking-in the trailer here.  It was one of those experiences we'll always remember and talk about.  "Remember that one time we were crazy and hauled Shad all the way to IFA and back, including the ridiculous 35 lbs we added for the ride home?"

Sunday morning we miraculously didn't wake up sore or unable to walk.  We were both expecting it and were pleasantly surprised. 
I came downstairs to find a wonderful addition to my flowers, chocolate covered almonds and a thoughtful note.  I love how a few words written on paper can make my day and make me feel so special and lucky.    

 After church we made a delicious "brunch" (at 2:30pm) of crepes "Swedish Pancakes" with strawberries and whipped cream, and enjoyed the day together.  It was definitely nice to have a day to relax after our crazy ride!

 Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...