Friday, October 14, 2011

Motherhood

I noticed a couple friends posting a link to the same article on Motherhood, so decided to take a look at it.  The author's perspective and reminder is refreshing in a world that looks down on Motherhood and having children.  One of my favorite parts is this paragraph:


"Live the gospel in the things that no one sees. Sacrifice for your children in places that only they will know about. Put their value ahead of yours. Grow them up in the clean air of gospel living. Your testimony to the gospel in the little details of your life is more valuable to them than you can imagine. If you tell them the gospel, but live to yourself, they will never believe it. Give your life for theirs every day, joyfully. Lay down pettiness. Lay down fussiness. Lay down resentment about the dishes, about the laundry, about how no one knows how hard you work."
Whole article found here.

I never anticipated how hard being a stay-at-home-mom would be.  I knew that I'd most likely have a time hog on my hands, since I was a very busy baby and Shad has been very active since the day I could first feel him moving.  I've discovered in myself a somewhat negative personality trait that doesn't coincide very well with being alone all day: I thrive off of praise, response, and recognition.  I sometimes wish this weren't the case, as it often causes me to feel like I'm being selfish in hoping for a reaction or for something to be noticed.

I loved Elder Uchtdorf's talk from the Relief Society Session of General Conference entitled "Forget Me Not," reminding us that we are not forgotten.  I know I need to be more patient with myself when I fail to meet my own expectations.  I definitely need to focus more on the small successes.  I have to constantly remind myself to be happy now.  But being somewhat of a perfectionist, I often let all the things that aren't perfect in my home or life, that don't work out or don't get done, taint the accomplishments.  I think my favorite part of this talk was being reminded that no matter what, we are loved and not forgotten.   
"Wherever you are, whatever your circumstances may be, you are not forgotten.  NO matter how dark your days may seem, no matter how insignificant you may feel, no matter how overshadowed you think you may be, your Heavenly Father has not forgotten you.  In fact, He loves you with an infinite love."   
Whole article found here.

This talk was just what I needed to hear.  There are many days when I realize the garage will go up at any moment and then I look around the house at the mess Shad and I have created.  I often wonder if Jeff ever walks in and wonders what I've been doing all day, if it appears that nothing productive has happened and I've been wasting time online or avoiding housework all day.  He wouldn't have any way of knowing how many times I walk up and down the stairs or how much of my day is spent feeding, changing, bathing, and entertaining.  

I guess tonight I'm just feeling gratitude.  First of all for those who are willing to prepare and share articles and thoughts that uplift others.  But especially for the chance I have to have a career that is challenging and worthwhile.  The struggle is what makes it worth it.   I've always loved the quote, "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're probably right."  

Tonight, I'm thinking I can. 
 

5 comments:

Jessie said...

Looove this post! I need to read/reread those articles. I understand everything you feel. But for me, when I look at how happy Jed is, I know I did okay that day. :)

Danielle and Trenton said...

AMEN!!!

Rachel said...

Great thoughts. I'll have to look up that first article. I have felt the same as you many times, but I'm learning to love all of it more and more.

Sarah Osborne said...

I like this a lot. Totally know what you mean about wanting recognition for what you do. Ha ha, it's hard to give it up. Sometimes I'll just start telling Kyle everything I did that day...just because I know I did a lot and I want someone else (anyone else!) to care. It really is the greatest job in the universe...most days ;)

kristynn said...

Boy did you hit the nail on the head! So wonderful to see hear you share and for you to know that You Aren't Forgotten!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...