Richard "Dick" Dan Christofferson
Lehi, UT
1927 - 2009
Dick attended Lehi Schools and graduated from Lehi High School. He joined the military during World War II and served in the Merchant Marines in the South Pacific and also served in the National Guard.
Upon his return from the war he married Margaret Jean Clark in the Salt Lake LDS Temple on April 16, 1947. They made their home in Lehi together where they raised their seven children. He was employed at Geneva Steel as a millwright for 42 years. He was affectionately known as "Biff".
Dick was an active member of the LDS Church serving in many callings including Stake Mission President, Bishop and Counselor in a Provo MTC Branch Presidency. He was also the District Chairman of the Boy Scouts of America. He was well known for his love and service to others. Dick's garden was a work of art in which he took great pride and he shared the produce he harvested with family, friends and neighbors.
He is survived by his seven children. Daughters, Vicki (Hal) Robbins, Grand Junction, CO; Joan (Jay) Christiansen, Lehi; Diane (Rob) Ellis, Woods Cross; sons, Jay (Maxine), Kay (Suzanne), Brad (Lynne), all of Lehi and Tony (Kim), Alpine. Also survived by 34 grandchildren, 28 great-grandchildren, brothers, Paul (Jeanne), Draper; Leo (Betty), Saratoga Springs; and brothers-in-law, Gerald Klemm, Salt Lake City; and Earl (Gladys) Clark, Highland. He was preceded in death by his wife, Jean in 2003, two brothers and six sisters.
Grandpa and great-grandaughter Linnea
(thanks Nate for the pictures)
From my short time knowing Jeff's Grandpa Dick, I was able to feel the love that he had for his family, and their love in return. He lived in a care home for the last few years of his life, and the family went to visit him very often. I was impressed, as I know there are many older people living in rest homes who's families live too far away or are "too busy," and they are often lonely. Though he was ready to leave this life and be with his wife at the end, he was still surrounded by his loving family.
I'm glad Jeff and I went to visit him and chat with him, even when he told the nurse we were his grandkids "the newlyweds" (confusing us with Lane and Nicki) when we'd known each other for a week. :) He often asked us the same questions over and over, but somehow we never minded answering his questions of genuine interest in our lives as students in Provo. He always offered us candy out of his ziplock baggie full of hard candy, and gave us big hugs and kisses on the cheek with his one good arm. And he loved rootbeer. I'm glad I had the chance to know him.
Sunday night we spent time watching home movies at Jeff's parents house and some of them happened to include his Grandpa, bouncing Nikki as a baby on his knee, dancing and singing. I'm really glad I was able to see that glimpse of him in his younger days.
Grandpa's funeral services were Saturday, August 1st. Everything ran smoothly. All the grandkids got up and sang a primary medley. I'm glad I could sing with them, and feel apart of such a united family.
Following the funeral we went to the gravesite with the family.


Flowers from the grandkids

Grandsons and pallbearers


(I have to point out Mike, Dave, and Jeff standing together in this picture on the right, and their matching Christofferson hairlines. Maybe it's cause their dad's are twins, but either way, it's awesome.)




Military men shooting a tribute to Grandpa, and folding the flag


Flag presentation to oldest daugther, Vicki

Jeff and other grandsons/pallbearers putting boutonnieres on the casket

Seven children of Dick and Jean Christofferson, and Jeff's immediate family


Though Grandpa will be missed by all, his passing has been a blessing for him. After 2 heart attacks, a stroke, congestive heart failure, cancer, broken hip, having diabetes, and being unable to walk or even sit up on his own for a few years, he was ready to leave this life and be with his beloved wife, Grandma Jean, who he missed immensely. We all knew there was a great reunion in heaven that day. :)
(After the viewing on Friday night we went out to eat with a bunch of the cousins. It was a lot of fun spending time with them, so I had to include the picture.)

Christofferson Reunion

Grandpa Christofferson passed away 3 days before the Christofferson Reunion, so the family planned the funeral quickly to accomodate all the family in town.
It was my first Christofferson Reunion, as we've been out of town the first weekend in August the past 2 years. They always have them at "the crick," a 6 acre natural area in the middle of Lehi owned collectively by the family.
Jeff and his nieces

Boys will be boys...

Aww for cute! They match...

Helping Tiff, Nea, and their 2nd cousin Hadlee making bracelets and necklaces

Jared, Kelli, and Torrie helping Tiff, Nea, and some other 2nd cousins Brooklyn, Cole, and Jayce find coins in the sawdust. I guess this is a tradition and this event takes place every year.

I didn't get a picture, but I won one of the candy jars! 320 skittles. Oh ya.
After the reunion (ok we left a little early...) Jeff, Rick, Alex, their cousin Ryan, and I went up to Alpine to get some biking in before dark. I love that Jeff has so many siblings close to his age and living close to us, so we can go out and do this kind of stuff.











2 comments:
I'm sorry about your grandpa. It seems like he was a wonderful man. I can see a lot of Jeff in his picture as a young man.
Thanks for everything about Jeffs grandpa. It made me miss our grandpa Runyan and my other grandpa too. It sounds like he was ready to go, which is good. And two reunions in a week???!!! I'm so jealous. Sounds like a lot of fun and a good way to brighten everyone's spirit. Mra!
Post a Comment