Saturday, November 13, 2010

Overwhelmed

Between buying and moving into a house, growing a baby, working full-time, and the fast approaching holiday season, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. To top it off we both just got callings and asked to speak in sacrament. 
Holidays and work I know how to handle, but our house has come to a stand still; a few rooms still don't have furniture, all walls are bare, and our bathrooms still need to be painted. We only have Saturdays to work on them because we're too tired to do anything on weeknights and I have no idea how I want to decorate.
My goal is to have it somewhat put together by Christmas...

So I guess the point of this post besides venting about my stress is to ask you guys out there for some advice on the one thing that is continually put on the back-burner right now... And that's baby.

I don't have the time or energy to do a lot of research and feel totally clueless on what we need to be doing/ buying in preparation.
So tell me, are there things that would be beneficial to start stocking up on now? Like diapers? What other things are good to have in advance? What are baby essentials that you feel you couldn't live without? What are some of your favorite products, brands, styles, etc on anything from strollers and car seats to slings, carriers, diapers, etc... Anything. 
Let me know any thoughts you have!  While I go try and be productive today...



7 comments:

Rachel said...

I can't say there are good things to stock up on because sometimes you don't know what you'll end up needing. (ex. Jack grew out of his size 1 diapers before I finished up one bag.)
I've found it easier to wait until all the baby showers are over before I start thinking about what I need to get. I take inventory, then I make a minimal list.
Of course, the baby needs a carseat, bed/bassinet, jammies and blankets at first, but they have a lot to grow into, so you don't need everything right away.
I guess though, after taking inventory, buying off-season clothes is a good thing to think about because they're cheaper and dressing your kids can get expensive.

Jessie said...

Oh, Lindsay! Don't stress too much about stuff, especially about baby. :) All you really need for him when he comes home is a few blankets, jammies, diapers, wipes, and a safe place for him to sleep. Oh, and don't forget some baby soap. I agree with everything Rachel says above. Totally wait until you have a baby shower. There are lots of things you can buy as you need them, like a high chair or booster seat, etc.

I know you're an outdoor enthusiast, so I think you'd like a jogging stroller (one with the front wheel that spins and can lock too) with real tires. We have a Baby Trend and love it! We even bought the carseat that fits into it, but the carseat is small and Jed grew out of it by the time he was about 5 months old. The Bob brand stroller is totally superior but it costs much more too. I HATE almost anything Parent's Choice (wal-mart) brand. Their diapers and wipes suck. I do like Equate brand wipes and Luvs diapers. However, I hear that skinny babies don't fit into luvs very well and therefore Huggies are the preferred brand. (cheaper than Pampers and still really good!) Also, remember, big brands like Graco and Evenflo etc. are popular for a reason.

Don't be afraid to pick up the phone and ask some girlfriends about whatever once your baby arrives. I did it and it helped a lot. We all understand and want to help!

I liked signing up for babycenter.com weekly emails. It's a helpful website.

As for you, the hospital should set you up with everything you need except nursing bras and nursing pads. You NEED them! Get a bra for daytime and one for nighttime too. You'll use them for the first 2 months solid if you're nursing.

Hope that helps a little! You will be a great mommy.

Kali and JT said...

I agree with everything said above... babies grow and change SO fast that it sucks to have stuff they don't use. They give you tons of stuff at the hospital and basically everything thats opened or used in your room is yours so you get to take it all with you... wipes, diapers, huge underwear, tucks pads, spray bottle, baby sponge,booger sucker thing etc. so don't forget to take it.

I had a super skinny baby and she leaked out of most diapers but huggies we have found to be the best. You just need some footed jammies with hand coverings(or mittens) because babies scratch themselves like crazy... i thought they looked dumb so I didn't get any then ended up using socks because Miley was starting to look like a scratching post. I think its handy to have like 3 little hats and a couple blankets and burp cloths. A place for baby to sleep in your room pack'n play or bassinet.

Get a sleep bra( http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=975400361&MasterCategory_Id=MC29) - I loved my bra like this and wore it for like the first two weeks while I wasn't so sure of my size

nursing bra that is under-wire free I bought one the last month of pregnancy then went back for more once I knew it fit and worked well, I swear by this target one

http://www.target.com/Gilligan-O%E2%80%99Malley-Nursing-Soft-Cup/dp/B001P7WJRO/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

Not necessary but I liked
-nursing cover
-boppy
-carseat that hooks into a stroller
-carseat tent/cover ( I made mine)
-aveeno baby baby lotion( the purple one)
- A swing- miley would sleep a lot longer in this in the day time

finally...

PRUNE JUICE!!!!

(yikes I wrote a lot... sorry!)

Kali and JT said...

Oh yes... I love my chicco carseat, its SO Easy and cute!

Danielle and Trenton said...

Lindsey, you are so awesome, don't stress too much. Becoming a mommy comes more naturally than you think, and I don't think I realized what products were my personal favorite or ones that were super essential to us until we actually got her here. Although, starting to collect diapers is a great idea! And lots and lots of receiving blankets, with the amount of liquid coming out of these babes! Cute clothes are way fun, but onesies are the best, chances are he won't keep the same clothes on very long and it's nice to have a bunch of these around!
Are you having a baby shower? I would love to be there!!
Don't stress about your house, it will get there, (I hate when people say that, but it's true.) And you have an awesome hubby who will help you with everything!
Let us know if there is something WE can do for you! Like have a painting day or help you get stuff done in your house.

Danielle and Trenton said...

Sorry, just one more thought, I have found that diapers are totally different from kid to kid. We've tried some that gave the kid a rash (Macey's brand), others that smelled like pee (Huggies), we personally love the parents choice (Walmart) and they work perfectly for us. But it seriously depends on the kiddo! You'll probably just have to try out some different kinds. The hospital usually uses Huggies, so check one!

Taresa said...

I totally stuck up on diapers before baby comes because then you don't have that big expense right away and you don't have to worry about running out! We like Huggies and Target brand best and if the package isn't opened most stores will let you exchange for a different size. For carseats I've used both Graco and Chicco and loved both of them, Chicco is more expensive but to me totally worth it! White onesies are a MUST in our house and are worn under EVERYTHING! When you go to register at Target or Babies R us they give you a little book of things you might want to get before the baby comes so that might help you! For you in the hospital I would totally bring your own pads cause the hospital ones suck and I bring slippers so I don't have to step on their gross floors! Hope this helps!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...