Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Oquirrh Mountain Temple

Last night we decided to go up to the new Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House. The last time Jeff went to an open house was when he was like 14 or so for the Mount Timpanogos Temple, and I'd never been to one before.


I really enjoyed the whole experience, from the 12 minute video at the beginning to the actual tour. I loved being able to walk through the whole temple. You don't always get a chance to see every room in an operating temple. I think my favorite part was the Celestial Room, because they used a cream and gold color scheme, with a ginormous star-shaped chandelier (Star of David star) in a super high ceiling. (Click here and click through the pictures to see it.) These pictures really don't do it justice, it was so much more grand in person! It was more like what I imagine heaven would be like than others I've seen. Also, the sealing rooms had the same scheme, with smaller star chandeliers. (Pictures in above link as well.)
From these rooms to the circles and stars (Star of Bethlehem shape) etched in glass, to the fabric chosen for upholstery, this temple was absolutely gorgeous! I loved all aspects of it's decor and design. And I love how as soon as you enter the temple, you can feel the Spirit. It's incredible.
Here are the same pictures from the LDS Church News... the first picture of the grand staircase is gorgeous, and Jeff and I also commented on its cool diamond shaped chandelier.
I'm so glad we went!

Oh, and they had really good soft chewy cookies afterwards... always a plus! ;)

As we walked around the grounds afterwards I tried to take pictures of the other 2 temples visible from the Oquirrh Mountain Temple. They didn't really turn out in the dark with our little point and shoot camera, but you can still see them! Isn't it incredible that there are 4 temples in the same valley? All within like a half an hour of each other?


Something cool we learned was that the name Oquirrh originates from the Native American Indians; From the Goshute Indians it means "wooded mountain." From the Ute Indians it means, "shining mountains" or "glowing." (Most likely from the way the light hits the mountain tips as the sun comes over the opposing east mountains.) I just thought that was a cool little history tid bit...

2 comments:

Ana Lee said...

That is so awesome that you went! I want to go really bad but I don't think we'll make it. That is really cool.

Aleesha said...

Beautiful! How fun! I haven't been through an open house since I was really young and I'd love to be able to go again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...