My doctor ordered a routine non-stress test and ultrasound at 41 weeks. Jeff came with me for moral support.
The NST basically measures the rise and fall of his heartrate. It has to fluctuate 15-20 bpm at least twice in 20 mins. It did that multiple times. Once we knew they had enough data to be sure he was okay we had fun playing with the machine... I'd wait for a braxton hicks contraction and then flex my stomach muscles to see how high I could get the rating...
The NST basically measures the rise and fall of his heartrate. It has to fluctuate 15-20 bpm at least twice in 20 mins. It did that multiple times. Once we knew they had enough data to be sure he was okay we had fun playing with the machine... I'd wait for a braxton hicks contraction and then flex my stomach muscles to see how high I could get the rating...
The ultrasound is just to measure how much amniotic fluid there is and to look at the umbilical cord and placenta. I was told that if the amniotic fluid is below 5cm they induce you immediately. Mine measured 18.5... so plenty.
Even though I was bummed that I still didn't have ANY progression, we were both happy to hear he is doing well. Guess he is just really comfy in there!
The midwife I saw today, Kathryn, basically told me that they won't let me go to 42 weeks, so they scheduled an induction for 41 weeks 6 days- next Tuesday! She said they will most likely break my water first to see if that gets things moving. After a few hours, if nothing much is happening, they will start pitocin because the risk of uterine rupture is still better than going past 42 week or an elective c-section. Here's to hoping he somehow comes on his own before then!
Even though I was bummed that I still didn't have ANY progression, we were both happy to hear he is doing well. Guess he is just really comfy in there!
The midwife I saw today, Kathryn, basically told me that they won't let me go to 42 weeks, so they scheduled an induction for 41 weeks 6 days- next Tuesday! She said they will most likely break my water first to see if that gets things moving. After a few hours, if nothing much is happening, they will start pitocin because the risk of uterine rupture is still better than going past 42 week or an elective c-section. Here's to hoping he somehow comes on his own before then!






No comments:
Post a Comment