Here are all the pages of the Quiet Book I made for Shad's birthday, for those interested in seeing them. I got ideas for most of the pages from various websites, blogs, and Pinterest. Some pages I replicated, some I changed up quite a bit. I love how it turned out!
Fly the rocket to the moon:
The rocket covers the fire while in the corner, then as it flies (glides along the string) it uncovers more fire. Also, the stars are beads glued on. (He loves having things like beads to touch and feel.)
Hot Air Balloon with real rope, leather basket, and fuzzy cloud:
Spin the propellers on the helicopter:
Rainbow with all variations of ribbons and lace to touch and feel:
Shape and color matching:
Buttons are glued on while velcro holds the shapes together:
Tractors! The wheels spin and the bucket moves up and down. It also has fuzzy dirt and smoke:
Barn with doors that open and finger puppets inside:
Pig, Cow, Horse, and Chicken:
Bead counting:
Camping! Bead stars, mesh windows, fuzzy wood on the fire, and a zipper for the tent.
Undo the zipper to find...
Mom and Shad in a tent!
(That picture was taken while camping last summer. One side of the clear vinyl is open so I can switch out the picture later.)
Garden page. Open the gate...
And pick the veggies! The corn and zucchini are also tangible, though they don't move around as they're attached at the base:
Road page, complete with house, park, soccer field, church, lake, and street signs.
The little garage is a pocket holding these:
BYU Football!
Tie the football lace and do up the belt buckle:
Peek-a-boo...
Hi Dad!
The clear vinyl on this page is also open on the one side so we can exchange the picture when we want to:
Sports!
Kick the soccer ball into the goal:
Shoot the basketball into the hoop:
Punt the football through the goal post:
Catch the baseball in the glove:
Laundry time!
The washer and dryer are open so you can put the socks in, the doors have clear vinyl and velcro, and the buttons are glued on:
Tools!
Tool box is open to hold all the tools. All tools are made out of multiple layers of felt and heat-bond for stability:
Bugs in a jar!
Bugs are plastic beads, stuck between 2 layers of vinyl:
(I don't think I'd recommend this method of making this page though. I imagined you'd be able to push the bugs around in the jar, but they are very hard to move as the vinyl layers stick together and are hard to get apart.)
Four Seasons!
(not the band...)
Grass serves as a pocket for the Spring blossoms, Summer leaves, Fall leaves, and Winter snowflakes, all of which attach with snaps:
Check the mail!
The mailbox opens, the box is hollow throughout to hold letters, and the flag moves up and down. Oh look! A letter for Shad!
I like the little stamp and flap lines I sewed on the back side of the envelope to make it resemble a real one:
A fuzzy glove with airplane beads that you can stick your little hand inside:
As you can see in this last picture, I bound the book by putting 1/4" eyelets on each page, sewing the pages back to back, and then putting 2 large oval shaped rings through the pages. I sewed a sleeve for the rings to go through on the inside of the cover. I also put a suspender-type buckle on the outside to hold the book closed.
Right now Shad's favorite pages are the peek-a-boo, shape matching, and laundry pages. He loves pulling the shapes and socks off, and he knows that the socks go in the washer/dryer. He knows how to open and close the doors, but he can't quite get the socks pushed inside. He's so smart! It'll be fun to watch him figure out how the rest of the book works!






5 comments:
That is incredible Lindsey! I love all the pages. It looks like it was a ton of work and took a lot of time. I looks great though and I'm sure he loves it!
Holy cow! This is immaculate! So neat. I don't know if I'm inspired or intimidated.
Girl that is amazing. I love it. You need to start selling them. I would totally buy some. You are so talented-Love it.
wow, Lindsey, that must've taken so much time. What a talent and creativity you have. Shad is one lucky kiddo! Angie
Lindsey this book is so cute! I am so impressed. It must have taken forever to do! I love it. Good work!
Post a Comment