Monday, December 19, 2011

Baby Projects and Shad's Room

I've had a lot of fun making various baby items since Shad's birth.  Some have been done for a long time and I've never blogged about them, while some are more recent.

The biggest and most time consuming was Shad's crib bumper.  Getting Shad's room decorated has been a very slow process.  Partly because I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do.  I just knew I wanted to do a western/ cowboy theme.  I started with his crib bumper which I finally finished around the time he turned 3 months old and was ready to move into his crib:





Just this past week we finally finished putting everything up on the walls in his room!
What's awesome about his room's decor is besides the money spent on fabric for the bumper, we spent around $20 dollars total!  

We bought the "Cowboys Welcome" sign at Ross for like $6, and Jeff gave me the horse hooks for Christmas one year:

 The horse harness mirror I got from my parents as a gift, which was made by my Grandpa a few years back.  I believe the harness and horns actually came from his farm in Idaho where my Grandpa grew up!     

 The two picture frames on each side were sitting in a box downstairs, and the mattes both came out of DI frames.  The picture on the right my mom pulled out of an old calendar, and the picture on the left I obviously printed of Shad.  The little old school stove came from Jeff's Grandpa's house, the stuffed horse I've had for years, and I think I got the clear boot from Partyland for pretty cheap.

Two of the frames I used for Shad's name are the ones that came from DI that I'd bought previously for something else, and the other two I also had sitting in a box downstairs.  Of the four frames I repainted three of them with some old paint Jeff's parents found at their investment property.  I had all the scrapbook paper already so I didn't have to go buy any.  I love that I was able to create these with what I had on hand!   

The rest of the items were either given to us, we've had sitting in a closet (hat and lasso were Jeff's when he was younger), or were randomly found.  (Like the washboard I found outside when I worked for Orem City...)


These cowboy boots were mine when I was little, and I got the horses and stable for Christmas when I was young.

I bought the pillow fabric when I made the crib bumper, and just recovered a couch pillow we had from our old apartment:

I also found this awesome stick horse at DI for a couple bucks!




Other projects:
I made a few pacifier leashes for Shad, his cousin Tylie, and a few friends.  They're easy and I like the suspender clips better than the store bought plastic leashes:



I made these 2 baby blankets for a friend and Jeff's niece.  The blue one is a rag quilt, and the pink, green, and yellow one has different ribbons, rickrack, etc for texture.

I made Shad some Sunday shirts with ties sewed on.  I think they're super cute.  Once he grows out of these two I want to make him one with a vest as well!  Can't wait...
 

 I made this little bow tie for Nikki's wedding back when the guys were going to wear purple ties, before she found Shad a little orange straight tie:


Next up: 

Recovering the pads on this old school high chair we got from Jeff's parents.  I already have the fabric, I just need to borrow a staple gun:

 Recovering the pads on this rocker we got from our neighbors.  I already cut off the old fabric, and I have leftover fabric from the crib bumper, I just need to sit down and do it.


2 comments:

Jessie said...

Mother of the Year! I can't wait to see the "new" high chair! Shad's room looks fabulous. The bumpers are ADORABLE!!! We're making Jed's "big boy room" (the one we will move him into when he turns 2) into a cowboy themed room too. I think the cowboy theme can be something that he might want to keep around for a long time! And hopefully Shad will too. You have some great pieces.

kristynn said...

A perfect Nate Berkus DIY room! I am so proud of you :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...