Thursday, April 30, 2015

Uncle Doug's Funeral


My Uncle Doug led a life full of ups and downs.  He had many demons but he still had intense love for abstract art, nature, animals, and teasing.  I remember staying at my grandparents house one winter, I think 2009, with Cody and Jessica before going to Powder Mountain to go snowboarding.  It was when grandma and grandpa were on their mission, so it was just Doug living there at the time.  I think he was often lonely, and he loved having company.  He came up and talked to use for hours, well into the night, about all kind of random stuff.  It was interesting, but a positive memory nonetheless.  He loved to collect roses and dry the petals, and then use those for art.  He gave me such a piece once, a vase with bright colored petals.  I'm so glad I still have it to remind me of him. :)

I've always liked this picture of him and my mom from my wedding reception in Meridian:

Written by Hailee on Facebook:


It wasn't a traditional service, as Hailee mentioned above.  We held a graveside service and those who wanted to shared memories.  His art was on display.  It was very fitting. 



Bishop speaking, and Mom sharing her thoughts.

 Hailee and Shae

Some of his art pieces from over the years, as well as his baby blessing outfit. 



My favorite piece!  Of course, I love horses.  ;)

Hailee took it on herself to paint his casket.  They weren't able to find a cheaper, unpainted, raw casket, so she stripped a finished casket so she could still make it her own.  I believe it was an act of love as well as a way to grieve the loss of the father she loved and inherited her art talent from.  

Here is her explanation of the process:






  


  


  

I believe this jar was already here at the cemetery, which means Doug brought it by sometime since Grandma passed away last month.  Those definitely look like his petals.  :)  

We also noticed that this faucet had been painted.  No one knows how or when, but seeing as it was right behind my grandparents and Angie's headstones, I believe Doug came and painted it as well, to leave a part of himself here with them.  



Our tie dye in honor of Doug's hippie habits ;)

Hailee, Mi Hui, and Shae

I'm not sure why I love this picture so much, probably because they are obviously laughing, and they are such a mix of relatives- Jacob Brunhardt, Hailee's boyfriend, Kenny, Nate, and Jeff.

Kathy and Mom chatting at the shed
  
Rest in peace Uncle Doug.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...