Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Runyan Reunion

Growing up we attended Runyan Reunions almost every year.  They often took place at the Runyan cabin in Idaho Springs, CO that my grandpa and his brothers and various other family members built.  They were huge events with lots of extended family and I have very fond memories of them.  Unfortunately as everyone got older and moved away we stopped having the big Runyan Reunions, but this year my grandpa decided we needed to have at least one last one with his descendants while he and my grandma are still around.  

It took place in Vernal, Utah this past weekend, August 3rd-5th. 

Jeff decided to work in Vernal on Thursday so we headed up that morning rather than that evening.  Shad and I wandered around Vernal, checking out the Dinosaur Museum and playing at the park while we waited for  him to get off. 

 

That evening we met up with some friends from Springville that moved to Vernal, Walt and Genica Donaldson, at the park and then went to their house for dessert.  It was fun to watch Shad and Noemi interact. 






 My family arrived late Thursday night.  Friday morning those who were in town headed up to go rafting on the Green River near Flaming Gorge.  Those who went included Wayne, Ben, Natalie, Audrey, John, Sue, Roy, Justin, Emily, Spencer, Mikey, Nate, Brooke, Tanner, Jeff, and I.  We anticipated a crazy river but it was barely faster than the Boise river, if even.  But we still had fun chatting and splashing each other.


After rafting we cleaned up and headed to the park for dinner.  Everyone that was in town by that point was there.  We played get-to-know-you games, ultimate frisbee, and we flew Jeff's power kite. 




















 
 


 


Once it got dark we watched an outdoor movie at the park.  We had goodie bags with popcorn, licorice, m'n'ms, etc.  We watched Despicable Me... well most of it.  Right at 10pm the sprinklers came on and we had to scramble to get everything off the grass.  Jeff saved the day with his quick thinking.  He ran straight to the closest sprinkler and held it away.  Definitely an experience to remember.  
 



 Saturday morning we all met back at the park for breakfast.  The grandsons were in charge of cooking, it was fun to watch them work together.  Throughout the day we played volleyball, launched water balloons, and had a horseshoe tournament.










 
 






















Once we were all hot and tired we headed over to the church for a talent show.   All the great- grandkids sang popcorn popping, I tried to get Shad to do Eensie Weensie Spider but he wouldn't really perform in front of everyone, Dad & Julie sang a duet, Tanner sang with his guitar, Morgan performed ballet, etc.
   










 
 



  
After the talent show we headed over to Dan and Brenda's house for homemade ice cream.  Afterward we stayed and played games with some of the cousins.  (Dan's group, Sue and Roy, Nate, Tanner, and I.)  We played Signs, which was a blast, and Mafia. Playing late night games and laughing till my face hurts and my side aches are some of my favorite parts of getting together with my cousins, especially Dan and Dot's kids.  Never a dull moment for sure. 

   
Sunday we went to sacrament with some of the cousins.  It was fast and testimony meeting and I loved hearing my Grandpa get up and bare his testimony with some of his family present.  We chatted for a little while at the house with those who were still around and then headed home that evening.  It was a very fun and memorable weekend.  I really hope it isn't 10 years before we have another.  I'm glad we were able to have one last reunion with my grandparents both here and together, even if my grandma wasn't able to remember who we all were.  I saw how sad she was when she realized people were leaving.  Even though it was hard on her mentally I think she really enjoyed having so much family around, people she knew loved her and were important to her.  I'm really glad we were able to go! 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...