Friday, May 10, 2013

Grandpa Duncan



Even though I've only been in the family for a few short years,  I've always felt a little connection to Jeff's Grandpa Duncan, as he reminds me a lot of my Grandpa Runyan.  They were both carpenters for the church, they were both sealers and patriarchs, and just have other similar qualities and traits.  
We had the opportunity to be there at the house with the family when Grandpa Duncan passed away.  It was a really neat bittersweet experience.  There was a VERY noticeable difference in the bedroom where Grandpa and Grandma Duncan and most of the family were compared the rest of the house.  The spirit was definitely there.  There were some very tender moments when Grandpa would respond every so slightly to something Grandma would say or do.  And she said earlier she had made him promise not to wait too long before coming to get her.  I'm glad I've had a chance to know them both in the past 5 years.  

The funeral was Saturday, May 4th.  It was a beautiful service.  I always love hearing life sketches and memories from the kids of someone like Grandpa Duncan, especially someone I didn't know as well as his own kids and grandkids did.   Jeff got a chance to visit for a while a week or two before he passed away.  He's so glad he had that evening with them.

The cemetery is across the street from the chapel where the funeral was held.  It was amazing to see the family walk down the street and across the cemetery.  They have such a huge posterity!  I think the family totaled 300 people exactly with in-laws and babies at the time that Grandpa passed away.  Incredible.







Grandma Duncan with all 9 of her kids

 I think most of these girls are Jeff's age, but both he and Amy spent a lot of time with them growing up.  This is one of the positive things about funerals, cousin time.  :)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...